Monday, 30 November 2015

A Home Learning challenge from Mrs D!

Parents, I totally understand how busy everyone's lives are and I am constantly trying to find new and inventive ways to squeeze in home learning and reading with two children in different Key Stages. However home learning and reading are vital to your child's success and I really can see the difference between children who spend time at home learning and reading reguarly and those that don't.

Research shows that children who read well and have a love of books will gain more GCSEs and those gained will be of a higher grade than those children without a love of books. This reading/love of books out weighed any other factor. So I can not stress how important reading is, your child reading to you and you reading to them on a daily or very regular basis.

Mrs BQ and Cygnus parents have had brilliant results from taking on this approach, spending time (a minute for every year old they are) learning with your child everyday.
I would suggest: handwriting practise, letter formation
                            number practise, writing numbers correctly, recognising numbers from 1-20 or
                            higher!
                            Phonics, recognising, writing and saying phonemes (sounds)
                            Keyword practise

This approach is on top of daily reading but I do feel that both together should take you no longer than 15 minutes at the most.

Here are some websites that might help:  http://www.teachhandwriting.co.uk/index.html
Please choose carefully as there are lots of different cursive styles, you can use the laminated sheets I sent home as reference.

                                                                  http://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/
This site has a small charge (£12 per year) to access all the games however the free ones are brilliant and we use them in class.

                                                                   http://mrthorne.com/
A range of brilliant resources developed and used in his own classroom by a KS1 teacher, Mr Thorne.

I will also send home a leaflet explaining what Y1 children are expected to learn under the new Curriculum to help.

Any questions, queries, concerns or comments please do pop in and speak to me. Happy learning!

                                                               
                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment